The bitter leaf scientifically known as veronia amygdalin and sometimes referred to as Iron weed, is bitter as the name implies, with a bitter leafy green color or sometimes gray vegetable. Known in Nigeria as onugbu by the Igbos, ewuro by the Yoruba and chusa-doki shawaka by the Hausas.
The bitter leaf offers many great health benefits including blood sugar regulation but it is not limited to it, aiding in the repair of the pancreas and may also help reduce the risk of cancer cells attacking your organs amongst other benefits.
The Country Nigeria is extremely lucky to have a soil that is effective in growing the bitter leaf plant anywhere and everywhere in the country.
It is also among the list of cost efficient vegetables in the country and also amongst the foods that boost the immune system. As such there is definitely no reason not to incorporate it into your dietary.
Below are some health benefits of the Bitter Leaf plant.
1. Washing and drinking the bitter leaf juice: Drinking the juice extracted from the bitter leaf is very effective in reducing the risk of breast cancer.
2. Taking in the constituents of the bitter leaf can reduce cholesterol which in turn helps reduce the risk factors associated with stroke, heart attacks and Alzheimer’s diseases.
3. Bitter leaf contains antioxidants in abundance which helps to check oxidation thereby increasing the body’s disease fighting properties.
4. It helps in digestion.
5. Aids in maintaining the liver and also the kidney.
6. It aids in cleansing the body system.
7. Bitter leaf increases metabolism which, alongside other factors, help in maintaining a healthy weight.
8. Bitter leaf is a great source of essential fatty acids such as poly-unsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acids which aids in protecting against cardiovascular diseases.
9. It also helps in eradicating excruciating pain.
10. It aids in the regulation of the blood sugar thereby helping to reduce the risk of type II diabetes.
11. It’s a good source of vitamin A, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B2, Vitamins C and Vitamins E.
12. It helps in relieving fever.
13. The bitter leaf plant contains constituents of antibiotic and antifungal properties which helps in curing skin ailments and diseases.
Thank you for reading. Before you go, do check out our post on How To Stay Safe And Healthy In Trying Times